Friday, May 23, 2014

I should not have gone back to work

Somehow my second week back to work, didn't end up being much of a work week.  After a lovely Saturday where Matt took his dad golfing at Pelican Hill to celebrate Jim's 70th birthday (wow!) while I hung out with the girls running errands and visiting Amelia and Joss (Madi was so excited to meet the new kitties) and a Sunday together celebrating Mother's Day, we all headed back out for a
Matt and Jim at Pelican Hill
Matt and the caddy
Gorgeous!
Madi plowing through french fries, waffles, corndogs, fruit
Ella with Grandma Sue (new hat that Grandma made too!)
Monday of school and work. I was spending the day with my Noyce Fellowship, which is always a great day. Matt picked up Madeline early from school for her three-year checkup. She didn't have to get any shots (yay!) and has stayed right on her same percentages from last year. She is now 32 pounds and 37 inches tall! Madi's head is 16.1 inches around . . . . the same as Eleanor's! Luckily Matt was home because daycare called at 1:30 saying Eleanor was vomiting and running a fever. I hoped it was just a side-effect of her teething, especially since she had been a little cranky all Sunday too. Ella's fever didn't go down and she threw up all over me and the bed around 10 pm (the joys of motherhood), so I took Tuesday off to spend the day with her. Baby Tylenol, cold washcloths and lots of snuggling filled our day. With Santa Ana's happening, it was very hot and as soon as Matt and Madeline came home, we headed out to the pool to cool down.
Matt stayed home on Wednesday with Eleanor since her fever was still coming back on and off. We felt very positive that she had fought off whatever was bothering her after she didn't run a fever all of Wednesday and seemed to be in a good mood. As we went to bed her fever spiked up to 102. Ugh! Luckily for us (not so lucky for the rest of San Diego) there were fires that cancelled school allowing me to stay home for another day with sick Ella. Matt and Madi only did half days at school/work and I took Eleanor to the doctor in the evening. Eleanor was diagnosed with her first ear infection, antibiotics were prescribed, and we spent another sleepless night.

PJ cuddles
Madi reading to Ella before bed
Lani watching over the sick baby
 Matt took Friday off while Madeline and I returned to our schools. Somehow with only two days of actual work, I was much more exhausted than I had been at then end of the previous week!
Saturday was filled with gymnastics, errands, and time spent trying to get the girls to rest (picture me in the rocking chair with a swaddled Ella and a cranky Madi in my lap for an hour . . . I didn't win the nap battle with one of them). Grandma T drove down to babysit so that Matt and I could go to an engagement party. First night out since Eleanor was born (thanks Grandma T)!
The engagement party was at a super-swanky house on Mt. Soledad in La Jolla. Spanish style, all Spanish tile floors, hot tub in the back overlooking the canyon and ocean, outdoor fireplace, just a ridiculously gorgeous home! Then, the party itself had a dj, two bars, a photo-booth, sushi, lambchops, ahi poke, and countless other trays of yummy food! I enjoyed some champagne interspersed with water so I could still feed Eleanor when we got home and ate as much as I could get my hands on. We had a great time seeing some of Matt's friends from his golfing days at UCSD and just enjoying the time together.
Since writing the beginning of this and trying to get the pictures organized, both Matt and Madeline have gotten sick! Matt started feeling icky on Tuesday, so he decided to work from home on Wednesday in the hopes of getting some rest at the same time. Madeline felt hot and looked bad Wednesday morning, but she desperately wanted to go to school, so I dropped her off and let her know to have her teacher call me as soon as she wanted to come home. She lasted until 11. Matt picked Madi up and they spent the day at home sick together. Matt and Madeline also spent Thursday at home together. Madeline drove him crazy as she became bored and would not let him rest. We have never been so sad that our kid doesn't really like to sit and watch tv for long periods of time! I am home today since the girls' school is closed, trying to keep Madi from re-infecting Ella, doing some work, and trying to let Matt get some sleep so he recovers. Mostly I am just praying that I don't get sick too!
Sick Madi sleeping in my lap while I was on a conference call
Happy Eleanor trying out the high chair now that she feels better. She has tried some very milky rice cereal, and really likes watching Mickey Mouse with her sister in the mornings!

No comments:

Post a Comment